Before filling for separation make sure that you draft a separation agreement that is in compliance with Georgia separation agreement. Once you file the papers, the respondent is served with Georgia separation notice
Given below is the legal steps that you need to follow to obtain legal separation
- Complete the Domestic Relations Filing Information and Final Disposition forms.
- Complete the Complaint for Separate Maintenance.
- Complete the Verification form.
- Complete the Settlement Agreement, if possible.
- Attach other necessary documents like residency proof
- Produce the required financial documents like bank and credit card details, tax and investment details, mortgage papers
- Pay the filing fee.
- File the forms.
- Prepare your case for trial, if no Settlement Agreement.
- Receive the Final Judgment.
Divorce and separation are two different things according to Georgia divorce laws. A divorce terminates the marriage and revokes various benefits where as a legal separation does not terminate the marriage thus, keeping the benefits intact.